In my last post I’d identified some nasties to avoid when buying sunscreen. Bear in mind that not all synthetic ingredients are harmful, some man-made chemicals are totally safe for humans and environment.
There are physical/mineral barrier creams – those that reflect the suns rays. And there are synthetic/chemical sunscreens – those that are absorbed into the skin and absorb the UV rays.
Then there was this!
Upon researching awesome products, I found some alarming data from amazing website: Odilique (I’ll be sharing one of their products later). They report the following: “The reason we choose to apply sunscreen is to protect our skin, but some chemicals such as cinoxate and octocryelne are linked to skin irritation and photosensitivity (a reddening of the skin resembling sun burn) – a little ironic! Since 1930, there has also been a 1,800% increase in malignant melanomas alongside the use of sunscreen rising exponentially. Considering we are spending more time indoors than ever, this is not a statistic to be ignored and it might be time for us to take more of an interest in what lurks in our skincare products. If you are suffering with a skin condition, such as eczema, the best sun cream to use is one that is organic and as natural as possible.”
Read the full post here.
Switching to a non-toxic sunscreen is vital! Here are some winning brands keep us protected and safe at the same time. Revolutionary!
Top 10 sun protection products
- RAW ELEMENTS. The Feel-Good SPF 30 moisturising cream, non-nano Zinc Oxide and Reef Safe. Does what it says on the tin. No chemicals, no preservatives, no fragrances. BUY NOW
2. AMAVARA. The Transparent Facestick. SPF 50 and non-toxic. Their SPF 50 products have a high concentration of non-nano zinc oxide (22.5%) as the only active sunscreen ingredient and are uniquely formulated to be not only safe for your skin, but good for it too. BUY NOW
3. ODYLIQUE. Family-friendly cream, SPF 30. NO synthetic UV filters, preservatives, silicones, fragrance or colour. The first ever sun screen both organically certified and approved by the Fairtrade Foundation. BUY NOW
4. AETHIC. The luxury SPF – Triple filter. At Aethic the key word is compatibility. Their products have to be compatible with your skin, work well to protect and rejuvenate your skin and also leave our planet intact. Suitable for all skin types. BUY NOW
5. ELI & YOU. Water Resistant SPF – This family-friendly sunscreen from Eli & You is perfect for protecting your loved ones while you enjoy the great outdoors. It’s a mineral-based sunblock made with zinc oxide, with a powerful Sun Protection Factor of 40+ for long-lasting effects. Eli & You Sunscreen shields your skin against UVA and UVB rays, and is also water resistant. BUY NOW
6. DRUNK ELEPHANT. The Tinted SPF – A tinted, physical broad spectrum sunscreen that delivers powerful UVA/UVB protection and helps aid in the prevention of free radical and oxidative damage as well as photoaging for a more youthful-looking complexion. Plus, a hint of tint for a gorgeous, glowing finish. BUY NOW
7. DRUNK ELEPHANT. For the face – A sheer physical sunscreen that delivers powerful broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and helps aid in the prevention of free radical and oxidative damage as well as photoaging for a more youthful-looking complexion. BUY NOW
8. BABO BOTANICALS SPF 30 Clear Zinc Lotion. The zinc formula is ocean-safe and effectively protects your skin from sunburn. This sunscreen is also sulfate-, paraben-, phthalate-, fragrance-, and dye-free. BUY NOW
9. Good for Sport – Thinksport SPF 50 Sunscreen. This sunscreen has a perfect score on EWG, and doesn’t contain any biologically toxic chemicals. It is water-resistant for up 80 minutes and is absorbed easily by your skin. BUY NOW
10. No fillers – RAW LOVE sunscreen in a tin. This sunscreen is very concentrated so you can apply just a little to protect your skin. It contains cold pressed unrefined coconut oil, raw shea butter, non-nano zinc oxide, sesame oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax. BUY NOW
I searched, but could not find any hair protection products for the sun – so if you know of any, please send them my way!
What I also found whilst researching products to feature, is that many claims are made about reef-friendly/eco-friendly that still contain the big offenders. Obviously, none of those were included here, but my advice is to scour the ingredients list so that you can make the most informed decision. Also, try to avoid the sun at its peak hours to be totally safe. We all need some Vitamin D, so moderation is the key!
I hope you enjoyed this post. Please share your thoughts.
Next up: Feel-Good Fashion – Natural versus Synthetic fibres. This will be an insightful post about how to consume fashion responsibly. Follow my blog to receive this post straight to your inbox.